Assistant Chef – The Lookout Restaurant
The Waterfront Hotel in Baltimore, is a well known and regarded 3 star family hotel in the centre of the iconic and stunning fishing village of Baltimore, West Cork. The business is run by the second generation Jacob Family who began their enterprises in Baltimore in the 1970’s when Youen Jacob Senior sailed in from Brittany and married the local primary school teacher on Sherkin Island, Mary O’Neill.
The Lookout Restaurant is our hotel dining room restaurant located on the first floor of the premises enjoying spectacular views of Baltimore Bay and the Islands. This restaurant is separate to our bar food and pizzeria service and has its own dedicated kitchen, dining area and team. This is the space where we serve breakfast to our residents all year round and it opens as an evening seafood restaurant on a set menu arrangement for the season from the Spring to the Autumn. Our history began with a small seafood restaurant in Baltimore operated by Youen Jacob Snr in the 1970’’s right through to 2006. Youen came from Brittany in France and is the person responsible for introducing the shrimp fisheries into Ireland. He was an incredible chef and prepared his food simply and fresh creating stunning displays with a simple classic flair. His Fruits De La Mer became know throughout the country and he won many accolades and awards. In 2006, Youen Jacob Jnr opened, The Lookout restaurant and for a while the two ran in tandem until later on Chez Youen was closed and amalgamated into what is know as The Lookout Seafood Restaurant today. Once of the reasons why we are still here all these years later is that we have remained true to Youen Snr’s ethos which is simple fresh uncomplicated food served up in an atmosphere of beauty with a little classic French cuisine indulgence. We are still doing his Shellfish Platters and Tarte Tatins just as they were done over 40 years ago and our unrelenting and unapologetic presentation of local freshly caught shellfish served whole in the shell Breton style is adored and much sought after by our returning annual visitors.
Job Overview and Responsibilities
Sean O’Sullivan is our Head Chef who trained under Youen Jacob Snr and has worked alongside Youen Jacob Jnr carrying the family traditions and secrets into his kitchen today. Sean is a hard working and courteous teacher who takes on hard working, enthusiastic and ambitious trainee chefs into our kitchen to show them the classic skills and service of a small cooked to order restaurant such as ours. We are looking for somebody who is keen to learn but definitely has their own established flair and proven ability. We want you to take interest to ensure that each dish leaving the kitchen is checked for quality, quantity and presentation. We want you to run the starter station and desserts and to learn the skills required to run the grill. In time we are looking for the right candidate who can maintain the smooth and efficient running of the kitchen in the absence of the Head Chef and to assist the Head Chef in the day to day running of the kitchen. We want you to take a daily interest in HACCP, SOP’s, ensuring the daily stocks are on hand, liaising with management and office team.
This is an attractive position for those who would like experience in an established kitchen with an excellent reputation for quality and classic lasting style. There is room to progress in this role and we would like a candidate who has interest in furthering their own knowledge of management methods and principles. We do request that you are at least 18 years of age or over, have fluent English and your own reliable transport to and from Baltimore.
The purpose of your role is to prepare, cook and serve food ensuring that the highest possible quality is maintained and that agreed standards for food preparation and presentation are met at all times under guidance from a senior chef. To carry out daily and weekly procedures, including food labelling/dating and storage. To remove any hazards and make safe any defects in the kitchen or its equipment and report any problems to a senior chef or maintenance. To keep high standards of personal hygiene and a clean uniform. To adhere to company procedures in regards to temperature checks, food labelling and dating, cleaning schedules and hygiene regulations at all times ensuring that all records of such are maintained. To assist with the acceptance and storage of deliveries and that all relevant company procedures are adhered to. To be familiar with the opening and closing procedures of the kitchen and carry them out as rotated. To keep high standards of cleanliness on your section and to assist in any job regarding hygiene or cleanliness asked for by a senior chef or management. To be fully aware of all the health and safety at work regulations. To carry out and assist in the smooth running of the kitchen. To attend all meeting and training sessions as required. To comply with any reasonable request from your superiors. To ensure that all statutory, as well as company, hygiene regulations are being strictly adhered to. Make sure the hygiene and food safety standards are met in all stages of food preparation.
Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- To report to duty on time in the correct uniform maintaining a pristine level of personal hygiene at all times.
- Reporting to senior chef on duty.
- To attend induction training and ongoing service training.
- To ensure that your kitchen and work station areas are kept meticulously clean at all times.
- To adhere to HACCP systems and SOP’s around cleaning, maintenance and personal hygiene.
- Reporting and following up of any maintenance issues that may arise.
- Have the initiative and presence of mind to report and follow up any machinery defects, hygiene issues or other matter that may hinder the safe production of food.
- To report to your superiors where possible take action on incidents or accidents or damage.
- To be aware and comply with company policy regarding: Fire, Health & Safety, Hygiene, Food Hygiene, Customer Care & Security.
- To read, understand and comply with your responsibilities as defined in the Health & Safety Statement and Staff Handbook.
- To execute opening, closing and handover procedures.
- Prepping for food service, execution of service and kitchen hygiene and maintenance.
- To ensure all necessary mis-en-place are ready prior to service.
- To ensure all daily HACCP forms are signed off diligently.
- Assisting with the training and encouragement of other kitchen staff.
- Working towards a pleasant and productive working environment for all the kitchen and service team.
- To carry out any other duties that may be notified to you by management.
If you have fluent English and are interested in working with a dynamic team from around the world please contact us with your C.V. and details of experience together with at least 3 reference names, their address, position and contact number.
All applications and correspondence in English please.